* Pre-made shortcrust pastry dough
* 1 pound potatoes
* 2 tablespoons melted butter
* 2.5 tablespoons heavy cream
* 1/2 cup ricotta
* Handful fresh herbs of your choice (I used basil)
* Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets
* 1 large head broccoli, broken into small florets
* 3 Tablespoons olive oil
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grease a 35.5cm x 12.5cm rectangular removable-based tart pan with butter.
- Roll the pastry out between two large sheets of baking paper into a rectangular shape to fit the tart pan. Carefully line the tart pan with the pastry and gently press pastry against the side and edges of the pan. Poke small holes all over the pastry with a fork, then place back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Put the pastry in the freezer for the last 15 minutes before baking it.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cut out a large rectangular piece of baking paper to fit the tart pan and scrunch it up. Open up the baking paper and place it on top of the pastry to cover it. Pour uncooked rice over the baking paper to fill the tart pan, this weighs it down so the pastry doesn’t puff up while baking (blind baking). Bake for 15 mins, then carefully remove the paper and rice and cook the pastry for 5-10 mins more. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- For the mashed potato filling, boil the potatoes until fork tender and allow to cool. Once cooled, peel off the skin and add the peeled potatoes, melted butter, heavy cream, ricotta, fresh herbs, salt & pepper to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on high speed until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Set aside.
- Boil the cauliflower and broccoli florets until slightly softened. Drain and set aside while you prepare the seasonings.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the olive oil, turmeric, cumin, paprika, coriander, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and stir. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Add the broccoli to a separate large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Now to assemble the tart, add the mashed potato filling to the tart shell and spread into an even layer.
- Push the cauliflower and broccoli florets into the mashed potato filling until the tart is fully covered.
- Cook in the oven at 200°C until cauliflower and broccoli is slightly browned and roasted, (about 25 mins). Remove the tart from the tin and serve.