These flavourful bars have such a bright refreshing taste and are perfect for the summertime.
For the crust:
- 115g unsalted butter, cubed
- 130g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- dash of salt
For the filling:
- 75g caster sugar
- 15g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Berry compote or jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line a 20 x 20cm/8 x 8 inch square baking pan with some butter and baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter to the bowl and use your fingertips or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press down into an even layer.
- Bake until golden around the edges. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, followed by the orange juice and zest.
- Pour mixture over the slightly cooled crust. Drop teaspoonfuls of the berry compote on top of the filling and bake until the filling is set, about 20 minutes
- Allow to cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.
- Slice into bars and drizzle with icing if desired.