For the fritters:
- 300g courgette, coarsely grated
- 1 small shallot (25g) finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 30g self-raising flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 80g feta cheese, broken up into 1cm pieces
- Sunflower oil for frying
For the dipping sauce:
- 125g Greek yoghurt
- 3g fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce, with a dash of salt and pinch of black pepper. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Place the grated courgettes in a colander and sprinkle over 1/2 a teaspoon of salt. Set aside for 10 minutes, then squeeze them to remove most of the liquid: you want the courgettes to keep a little bit of moisture, so don’t squeeze them completely dry.
- Transfer grated courgettes to a medium bowl along with the shallots, lime zest, flour, eggs, ground coriander, cardamom and a sprinkle of black pepper. Mix until well combined, then gently fold in the feta cheese.
- Pour a few millimetres depth of oil into a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 4 separate spaces out heaped teaspoons of mixture to the pan. Flatten each fritter slightly with the back of a spoon. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, flipping over halfway through, until golden and crisp on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and keep somewhere warm while continuing with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with dipping sauce.