I’m crazy about this delightful variation to classic pesto. It has a fantastically rich, nutty taste and is super versatile.
I love it as a spread
It also works wonderfully stirred through pasta and dyes it a beautiful vibrant colour.
- 1 medium beetroot (150g), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 70g walnuts
- 60ml olive oil
- 20g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F
- Spread the walnuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven until they just start to brown and become aromatic, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place all the cubed beetroot onto a large sheet of foil, wrap them up and seal.
- Place the foil packet on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 40 mins or until beets are soft. Allow to cool completely.
- Add all the ingredients apart from the oil in a food processor and blend until combined.
- While the food processor is running, gradually add the olive oil in a stream until all ingredients are well combined. Add additional olive oil or water until desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and blend once more.
- Enjoy this delicious vibrant pesto as a spread or stir through boiled pasta.